Time is a limiting belief.
We want to help you squash that belief as we enter another month at home.
A chance to pivot, adjust, and expand. And since we understand that your time is valuable, we’ll make this short...give us 5 minutes of your time.
Most people don’t realize it’s really not their schedule but it’s the way they manage it (or lack thereof) that keeps them feeling overwhelmed and as if there isn’t enough time. Whether you’re looking to start a business, you’re deep in the thick of entrepreneurship, or you’re just looking to get the most value out of your day, timeblocking will change everything. It will help you recognize that no, it’s not a matter of not having enough time–it’s a matter of how your time is utilized.
We are creatures of habit who like to be comfortable. So without a plan, we will do the easiest, most comfortable tasks each day. And yes, we are speaking from experience. But here’s the deal-–those comfy tasks–they aren’t going to MOVE. the needle for your business (or your life). Our method of timeblocking? We tier what you schedule in first….cue: no more cushy tasks first thing (save those for later when your energy is lower!).
Before we dive into how to implement timeblocking, we’ve got some hot tips to help your days run smoother:
- Add in flex time (otherwise known as “SHTF” or “shit hitting the fan”) because you know… life
- Prep your food in advance…. delivery counts as food prep, too.
- Change your seat when your ”mode” changes.
- Set a timer 3 times a day to drink that water…. Toss in something you are grateful for, too.
- Put up boundaries with social media and the news (especially during this time)
- Use headphones if you are in a shared space.
- Put your phone on DND.
- Close webpages you are not actively using (we know the overwhelm that comes from having 10+ tabs open at once–have open only what matters for that specific task).
So, what exactly is timeblocking? Timeblocking provides a concrete visual for how we spend our time. In doing so, we can gain awareness in priorities and how we are spending our time, and more importantly our energy. As we become aware of how we spend our time, we can become more intentional about it. Time is a BIG energy source. Your time is your currency. There are so many benefits that come from being intentional with your time including:
- Stress relief
- Anxiety relief
- Opportunity to strengthen your relationship with yourself (LFG!)
If we look at timeblocking in terms of steps, it’s super simple. That’s it. Let’s dive in.
1. Look at availability.
2. Break out hour by hour (this is key!)
3. Begin with the items that are MUST-DOs. This includes non-negotiable. (Think: Where do I HAVE to be). These include: standing appointments, meetings, work hours, and classes. Add in appointments, meetings or commitments that are not standing but scheduled for the week
4. Build in workouts, commute time or other things you want or need to account for or prioritize
5. Delegate action steps for your weekly goals (without taking action, these are just ideas!)
6. Assign times/days for tasks that need to be done (bills, laundry, chores, etc.)
7. Repeat and crush your days!
Notice the things that every week you are not getting done–this is FEEDBACK):
- Do I need to timeblock more effectively? (Sometimes we overshoot!)
- Do I need to outsource?
- Do I need to timeblock more realistically?
- Am I learning where things fit well?
- Leave a block of time at the end of the week or weekend to complete unfinished tasks (remember back to SHTF items)
Are you ready to take some series action and own your day, every day? Eager to work those timeblocking muscles IRL?
Refer back to these steps and download our easy-to-use timeblocking template.
Like what you see? Head on over to Instagram and give us a follow to get weekly tips, tools and insight into how to run your day and run your business.